Most people that enjoy the various forms of technology available to them do not actively think about how exactly they’re using that technology. Smartphones and internet access are so widely used that we aren’t usually required to think further about it! We turn on our devices, pay our bills, and the rest just happens.
But actually, it’s not! In order to use the vast majority of technology pieces that we buy, it requires a signal to connect it to the internet or with some type of technological signal.. Without this boosted signal, your smartphone becomes a glorified GameBoy and your two-way radios are rendered useless.
Signal enhancement is a complex technology, but we’re here to break it down into a simplified guide for you. We will break down the importance of signal enhancement, what factors might affect signal performance, and what can be done to improve performance.
The Basics Of Signal Technologies
To use communication technologies, there almost always needs to be a signal in which to attach onto. This function allows you to utilize the technology of the devices you plan to use. When you use your smartphone, you’re connecting to a signal network such as LTE or 5G so that you can browse the internet, go on social media, or any other features that require the internet for its use.
Examples of commonly used signals include:
- WIFI – for various forms of mobile networking
- 3G, 4G, 5G or LTE – common cell networks
- RF – radio frequencies
- CDMA – channel access method used by various radio communication technologies
Without the signals, your devices become, at least partially, obsolete. It is important to realize that it’s not only the presence of a signal that matters but the strength and type of signal as well. You won’t be able to use a home’s WIFI signal if you’re a kilometre away even with a wifi booster, the same way you cannot use your 2-way radios on an LTE cellular network, for example. When it comes to signal boosting, the medium matters!
Identify Problems & Enhance That Signal!
You may be asking yourself, “how do I go about boosting my communication signals?”. This is a great question with some straightforward answers. However, it’s worth noting that each communication technology has its own respective quirks, and therefore the following points are used collectively but may not apply directly to each technology.
Here are some major factors that can disrupt your communication signals as well as simple methods to fix the disruption:
Distance From Technology
The issue: Every signal technology has its very own range of physical distance limits, such as a WIFI network that only works for those connections inside or in very close outdoor proximity to the home.
The fix: Ensure the signalling technology that you choose offers the adequate amount of physical distance between the signalling mechanism and the device in question. Check product specifications and always cross-reference to get the maximum signal boost.
Obstructions & Interference
The Issue: Some signals can be partially or completely blocked by certain objects or building materials. Even people can be signal obstructors! Certain materials can also interfere with signals, which can be frustrating.
The fix: Be sure to check product specifications for your particular technologies and ensure that the environment in question is not going to pose any major obstructions to your service. This could save you plenty of time and money down the road.
The issue: Not all routers are created equally and all offer different signal strengths. Early days of internet routers only allowed casual browsing, whereas nowadays they can handle much larger loads of information transfer.
The fix: Ensure the router you need has adequate capacity to handle the workloads you plan to place upon it. The more technologies you have connected to it, the greater the overall load, so keep that in mind.
The issue: Quite often, it is not the strength of the signal that affects overall performance, but the actual capacity of that signal to handle various loads of information. An example is a household with basic internet that has four children that all like to watch netflix on their own TV’s. Each device on the network is vying for the same signal strength, which will reduce the signal as activity increases.
The fix: Be sure to consult with respective professionals to ensure that you have an adequate amount of bandwidth for the uses intended. Another key step is to identify “bandwidth junkies” that hog the signal and perhaps restrict use accordingly. In this case, sharing is caring but it is also necessary to preserve your signal! Without this step, attempts at wifi signal enhancement will be ineffective.
Quick Tips & Tricks For Signal Enhancement
Here are some quick tips, tricks and recommendations for getting the most out of your information signals:
- Pick optimal locations for your routers. Be mindful of appliances and other materials that can interfere with your signal. Sometimes this can be rearranging spaces, but most of the time it just means avoiding placing routers near these problem materials. Doing so will create a signal boosting environment.
- Consider additional antennas. Larger antennas can go a long way towards a stronger signal, even though they can be large and physically cumbersome. The antenna size of many routers is often less-than-adequate, for various reasons.
- Enhance control over bandwidth and wifi usage. It’s important to identify major users and act accordingly on that information. One person’s unfettered access to a signal can ruin the technology experience of the others within the same space.
- Update routers and applicable technologies. Updates can have a major impact on the efficiency of technology transfer. The lack of necessary updates can leave your particular piece of technology with a significant hindrance.
Be mindful of newer, more efficient technologies. Technology is constantly evolving. We cannot imagine doing business with the same technologies that we had access to 15 years ago, it simply wouldn’t be plausible based on current technology demands. When it comes to the technologies you actively use, it is wise to pay attention to newly emerging updates to those technologies. This act can give you a productive boost over your competition on top of your newly boosted signal.
- Invest directly in signal boosting technologies. There are a plethora of tools that have the ability to boost signals. Such technologies include cell phone boosters, wifi boosters/extenders, two-way radio signal boosters, as well as general signal boosting technologies that apply to less common applications.
The technology we employ today has an amazingly complex impact on our day-to-day lives, from private use and enjoyment to large-scale corporate communications. There are so many great ways to approach signal boosting so that you can get the most out of your needed technologies. In an economy based on efficiency and productivity, this is becoming even more of a necessity.
We hope we have been helpful with regards to this topic. Earth Communications is a dedicated team of communication professionals and technicians capable of helping you maximize the value of your communications investments.